Sunday 11 January 2015

Interview with Honey Andrews


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Honey Andrews, aka Honey Daniels, an American entertainer and beauty pageant queen from Corpus Christi, Texas, Former Miss TX Continental, and Miss Gay Harris County USofA 2013. Hello Honey!
Honey: Hello Monika!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Honey: I'm Honey Andrews, 29, originally born in Monterrey, Mexico. I am currently living in Corpus Christi, Texas. I am a hairstylist by day and showgirl by night. I have been doing it for about 10 years.
Monika: Recently you have been subject to the transphobic act when after the last three years’ performance at the tribute to Selena, the late music icon, the tribute organizers did not allow you to perform because you are transgender…
Honey: Yes, unfortunately, last year I came across this incident where I was discriminated against because I was Transgender but fortunately I was able to perform at the other Selena tribute, which was the original one, and had the love and support from many people.

I love a black sleek dress, conservative yet
sexy. I mean you just can't go wrong with
the little black dress.

Monika: Selena was an American singer-songwriter, named the "top Latin artist of the '90s" and "Best selling Latin artist of the decade”. Why did you decide to pay tribute to her?
Honey: I decided to pay tribute to her because Selena is one of my many female inspirations. I've been imitating her for as long as I can remember since I was a little kid and of course now she is one of my favorite impersonations to do in the shows.
Monika: When did you decide that you would like to be a stage artist?
Honey: I have decided to be a stage artist since I was very young. I have always loved the spotlight. I have never been scared by the crowd. I've always wanted to sing and put on a concert lol but being a showgirl is the closest thing to being famous so why not lipsynch and imitate the great artists.
Monika: Could you name some of the venues and shows in which you participated? 
Honey: Hmm venues and shows, oh my my well, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Lubbock, Chicago are among some of the cities that I've traveled to and performed at.
Monika: Have you ever thought about acting?
Honey: Yes, I've always wanted to act and be in a movie, a scary movie to be exact. Like I said I've always loved the spotlight and in some ways, drag shows are like acting. I mean you get on stage and act the song, so yes I'd love to act one day in a film.
Monika: You also take part in transgender beauty pageants. Could you say a few words about your pageants and trophies?
Honey: Yes I love pageants I love to compete I've won many titles such as Miss Corpus Christi USA, Miss Harris County, Miss TX Continental are among some I love to show the public my talent poise, and professionalism. 


Monika: Being beautiful always produces a lot of girl power and empowerment. Do you often use it?
Honey: Yes, being beautiful does produce lots of girl power and I've learned to use it as far as being a positive person and being a positive role model I've always been myself. I have never let it get to my head to where I became stuck up. I've stayed true to myself and remained the same humble person I've always been.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you could follow?
Honey: One of my favorite Transgender role models was my late drag mother Erica Andrews. She was one of my main role models, and of course, there were other ones such as Mimi Marks and so on but Erica was one of the first female drag performers I ever saw when first coming out and I fell in love with her as soon as she stepped on that stage. 
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Honey: Coming out was not the hard part because I think my family knew all along well, at least I'm sure my mother did lol. On the other hand, I think transitioning was the hard part for my family. I was afraid of rejection but I knew they would understand and to this day I have never had a problem.

Impersonating my all-time favorite singer
and inspiration Selena in her infamous
purple costume...

Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in American society?
Honey: I think it's great. More and more Transgender women are being noticed. I think that's the way it should be. We need to be seen and heard; we are all humans and have our rights.
Monika: Could transgenderism be the new frontier for human rights? 
Honey: I think, yes one day, transgenderism will be the new frontier for human rights!
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Honey: I am not really active in politics to tell you the truth. I think one day we'll make a difference in more ways than just politics... but I do think we need a Transgender woman to take part in today's politics to voice her opinion on how Trans people should have the same rights as anyone else.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Honey: The importance of love in my life today would have to be my friends and family and the support of the community that stands behind me.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Honey: I try to keep up with today's fashion. I try to blend in yet stand out in my own way. I love all colors but my favorite is purple.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Honey: I've thought about it but I think for now what I post on Facebook is kind of my book lol. But yes one day I'll write a memoir and I'll tell you one thing, it'll make a hell of a book! lol

I love doing ballads on a stage especially in a sexy
dress in my favorite color.

Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Honey: My next step is to keep moving forward with life and keep doing what I love doing and be the best I can at whatever it is that I'm doing.
Within 5 to 7 years I see myself owning my own salon, running my own business also seeing myself as a housewife with a wonderful husband in our own beautiful castle and living happily ever after. lol ... OK maybe I do want that but hey you never know right...
Monika: What would you advise all transgender girls, thinking about the entertainment career?
Honey: Always give it a shot; never feel you are not as good as anybody else because we all started somewhere, so my advice is don't listen to anybody trying to put them down.
Monika: Honey, thank you for the interview!

All the photos: courtesy of Honey Andrews.
© 2015 - Monika Kowalska
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog