Wednesday 25 December 2013

Interview with Kayla Ward


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Kayla Ward, a young American video blogger that documents her transition on YouTube. Hello Kayla!
Kayla: Hi, thanks for contacting me.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Kayla: I am finally happy now that I can be on the outside who I have always been on the inside. I have been living full-time for a little over a year now and have loved every minute of it!
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Kayla: I followed many girls like me for years and was inspired by their journey and wanted to share the same inspiration with others.
Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Kayla: Everything is done but SRS and that is soon.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of the hormone therapy?
Kayla: More than satisfied. I didn’t expect things to change as much as they have.

Fall Fashion.

Monika: Could you describe your childhood? When did you feel for the first time that you should not be a boy or man?
Kayla: I felt out of place when I was 5. I hated who I was but was afraid to tell anyone so I hid it inside and focused a lot of time and energy into sports.
Monika: For most transgender girls, the most traumatic time is the time spent at school, college, or university when they had to face lots of discrimination. Was it the same in your case?
Kayla: I wasn’t out during that time so I never faced that discrimination. I did lose a few friends after I came out but gained many others.
Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Kayla: Candis Cayne, Carmen Carrera, Isis King, Jaime Clayton, and Laverne Cox.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Kayla: Losing my wife.
Monika: What is your general view on the present situation of transgender women in American society?
Kayla: Major progress is happening but there is still a long way to go.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years, some of them have the status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modeling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you think we will have more and more such women?
Kayla: I absolutely do. Sports, movies, TV, and modeling. There are lots of opportunities to be who we are and be accepted as who we are, no matter what it is we do.
Monika: Do you think that in our lifetime we could live until the day when a transgender lady could become the President of the USA?
Kayla: It is possible but I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

All Legs.

Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Kayla: Love fashion and design. I have been lucky enough to have some wonderful friends to help guide me along in what to wear and how to wear it.
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Kayla: I think that the women participating in pageants are beautiful. I don’t think there should have to be a separation of transgendered and just normal beauty pageants.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBT community?
Kayla: There isn’t much of one where I am at but I have done a few things with the group in Dallas.
Monika: Do you intend to get married and have a family? Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Kayla: I hope to find love and get married one day. It is something I think about daily.
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination and hatred?
Kayla: More people will accept you and love you no matter what than you think. When you are true to who you are and treat others the way you want to be treated, life opens up in some amazing ways.


Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Kayla: Next step is SRS!! I’d love to see myself in the WNBA and a happily married woman within the next 5-7 years.
Monika: Could you say that you are a happy woman now?
Kayla: I am more than happy!!!
Monika: Kayla, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!

END OF PART 1

 
All the photos: courtesy of Kayla Ward.
© 2013 - Monika Kowalska

Search This Blog